This blog will be about the life and experiences of an active motorcycle courier in the UK who rides all over the UK and into western Europe. http://www.sdsamotorcyclecouriers.co.uk

Saturday, 26 June 2010

Belgium Courier delivery short notice

Last Thursday my wife had an appointment at hospital so I dropped her off and got some other jobs done then I parked outside to wait for her to call me to pick her up. At about 11am my phone rang, it was one of my clients wanting to know if I could make a delivery to Belgium today, I explained where I was and asked her to email the details across and when I got back I would send her a quote, but yes subject to being able to book the Eurotunnel crossings it could be done.

When we got home the email was waiting for me so I checked Eurotunnel first and then created the quote which I passed onto her over the phone, she had to get it authorized and said she would get back to me. About 30 minutes later I got the call that the quote was acceptable and that she would like to proceed.

It took a short while to prepare the paperwork, get the addresses into the GPS and make the Eurotunnel reservations and then I was on my way.

The package was collected at about 2:30pm, next stop Eurotunnel at Folkestone about 140 miles or so. I stopped at the services on the M20 which are about 2 miles before the Eurotunnel to top off the fuel and then headed to the terminal.

There were delays at the terminal because the check in booths had broken down so check in was being done manually, thought I was going to miss my crossing but they got me onto it and I arrived in France at about 6pm local time.

So I headed north towards Breda, the roads were pretty quiet at the time and the road works that had been there two weeks ago between Calais and Dunkirk were all finished, no more pot holes and no delays. The delivery was to a small village about 20 miles off the motorway roughly between Breda and Ghent and I must admit it was interesting actual finding the delivery address because there were road works in the village and some roads were closed but I found it.

On arrival there was no one there at the workshop, this was about 8:40pm but I had the recipient’s phone number so I called him and he arrived about 9pm, once he had signed for the package I was on my way again back to Calais.

The ride back was glorious, the roads were really quiet and for a good 45 minutes I was riding into a really beautiful sunset and for once it was really pleasant between Ostend and Calais. The ride back was going so well that I hoped I might be in time for an earlier crossing on Eurotunnel than the one I had booked. I was just too late for the 10:50 departure and there was no 11:20 crossing so I had over an hour to wait before the 11:50 crossing.

I arrived back in Folkestone at about 11:30pm local time and started to head home with a brief stop at Stansted services on the M11 for a cuppa. I think I arrived home at about 2:15am and then took the dogs for a short walk then fell into bed after a 555 mile trip.

Ride safe

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.